Monday, August 30, 2010

老地方餐室 / Lau Di Fang Restaurant / Beach Road Scissors Cut Curry Rice ( Kitchener Road / Jalan Besar )

Lau Di Fang Restaurant / Scissors Cut Curry Rice at Kitchener Road / Jalan Besar


229 Jalan Besar, Singapore
* Junction of Kitchener Rd and Jln Besar Rd *

+65 6292 3593

A little background info here: I've never been a big fan of Chinese Curry Rice, or how we Singaporeans term it, chai fan (mixed vegetables rice). I term food like these Mix-And-Match Curry Rice, and I've always regarded it as something that can be cooked at home and is always severely overpriced outside. That's why I'm not ashamed to say that I only had my first Mix Match rice encounter in 2009 - well, I guess that's why they called me the Fussy Boy when I was young.. now I know where the term comes from..

Back to the chase, I was all but excited before we came here but the experience here changed my whole entire life!

Sometimes, a little of all but what we need in Singapore, are some of life's little pleasures. I was recommended to this place by my other food partner but it did not strike me until we reached our destination..

Brightly lit in between the junction of Kitchener Road and Jalan Besar Road lies this wonderful place..

Brightly-lit - Though you might just pass by and miss it!

My partner's choice of poison..

They weren't kidding about the floods..

Be sure to overflow your rice with the delicious curry here.. What makes this meal so special is the curry here is extremely tasty. Everytime I come here it feels like the food is melting in my mouth! This is probably the best I've tried of all time..


Look Ma! Pork chop! Mmmmmm...

Surprisingly my favorite part of the meal wasn't the usual chicken drumstick, but the pork chop here is extremely delicious and has that "crunch", if you know what I mean. If you are here, you MUST try the pork chop and the black looking thing as seen above.. I have no idea what it means but I'll be sure to update this post to let you know when I do!

UPDATE: The black thing is what we call "braised pork" Hahaha phail!



I would HIGHLY encourage anyone who's not been here to come here and pay a visit! Just think along the lines of Japanese curry, but Chinese style!

Average Damage: $6 - $10 per pax

Overall Service: Not Applicable
Service here is self-service. Queue up to get your food and start training those fingers to point, people! Although the drinks seller will go around asking what you would like for a drink.


Overall Taste: 5/5
Currently topping the list for the best curry rice (Chines Style)

Atmosphere/Ambience: 2.5/5
The interior of the place is pretty humid and eating inside is average. However, sitting outside while a friend queues up for the food and watching as traffic goes by is somewhat serene.. however the exterior looks pretty dirty so no points for that.

Accessibility: To be reconfirmed

Smoker-Friendly: 5/5
Yes. 2-3 tables are available outside where you are permitted to smoke.

Opening Hours:
Daily
11:00am - 03:00am

No comments:

Post a Comment